Thursday 22 March 2012

Spring Thoughts

As I sit here, writing these few words, I look out onto a glorious sunny summer day. Well, it is only the 22nd. of March and therefore just the beginning of spring but it has been a wonderful day during which my wife and I have occupied ourselves with a spot of gardening. The above photograph was taken yesterday, in equally beautiful weather, in the grounds of Laurieston Castle, a short distance away from our home. Content with the the efforts of our labours, the few squares of 72% cocoa dark chocolate and the view of a blue cloudless sky, I am at peace with the world.

Local children are at play outside, content that their own labours, at the nearby school, are also completed for the day. While working outside in the garden, we heard the excited cries of the children, as they competed in some form of sports day on the school field. It is always uplifting to hear such youthful joy, particularity when it is at a little distance and the volume is not to loud! My brothers and I had a loving and secure upbringing and this should be the right of every child. It is with regret and sadness that in our society, not all children may enjoy this surely most basic right of childhood. When I come into contact with young children, I think of my own largely happy time when I was that age and ponder on what the world will be like when they reach adulthood. Indeed, what sort of world will they have to live in when they reach my antique years. Will flying cars finally exist and how will future generations cope with them constantly falling out of the sky or shall the joys of teleportation save them the daily commute to work or the dubious pleasures of the airport on their way to sunny climes or Mars or the moon.

I hope dear reader, that you will see from the above that I am not a hater of children and will bear this in mind when reading the following rant.

Earlier this week, I was on my travels around my city when the opportunity to ease my aching legs arrived by the appearance of a number 45 bus. The 45 is one of Edinburgh's less frequent services which I seldom seem to see when on my travels. I was beginning to believe that the timetable was a work of fantasy and fiction but here it was, a number 45 bus arriving at the bus stop just as I took up my position in the queue. I started to run through all of the possible destination that this single decker bus would pass on it's route and the variety of walks that I could undertake from any of them. My joy however was short lived. The bus was packed and virtually all of the seats were taken by pupils from a primary school, which for the moment, will be nameless. When I was that age, it was drummed into you, that you should give up your seat if there was an old, disabled or pregnant person standing. Fortunately I only fall into the first category but I was still denied a seat and a little rest before embarking on the next stage of my trek, while the youngsters, no doubt bursting with energy, rested until the demands of playtime. I can still remember the often quite formidable conductors and conductresses (Ah remember them!!!) who would have enforced, with no argument, that surely reasonable acknowledgement of helping those in need of a little assistance.

I do not blame the children. However, there were five teachers/carers present and it does not seem unreasonable that one or more of them could have shown a good example and given up their seat to a crusty old geezer such as myself or indeed, the other oldtimers who were left to stand. However, that would probably spoilt a good natter as they all sat close together. The real cause of this attitude and where I place all blame is with the Parents. They are now the most powerful section of our society and seem to think that the world and everyone in it should revolve around them. They claim that their demands are for the children but I am not having it. It is they who think that the result of a few moment passion should make them special and give them an honoured position in our world. Parenting has never been easy and most of us just make it up as we go along, trying our best to give our offspring the greatest start in life. While in a decent society, we should all do our best to help parents, that should not mean that we should be bombarded with parents constant and deafening demands when they should accept the responsibilities that they brought on themselves.

       
Well sorry about that, it just came out. Lets hope that when the children of today become parents, they will taken on more of the responsibility, rather than expect the rest of us to do. Although I am not hopeful.



We're ready for our close-up Mr. DeMille !

Three young stars of the Spring garden.  

Thank you for your patience, until the next time..... 

.    

No comments:

Post a Comment